June 16, 2006

Summer '04

With all eyes now on Germany because of the FIFA World Cup,I can't help but feel nostalgic for the 30 days and nights spent in this lively, colourful, happy, exciting country."Germany?!?!?!!?!?" you'd all wonder."Oh yes," I'd say. Contrary to you might think,Germany in the summer is just one big carnival! And the Germans?! They're cuuuuuuuuuuuuute!They are as serious as hell in the weekdays,but later in the day and on weekends it's ho ho ho ho...beer and dancing and festivals and shopping and the whole deal."What about arrogance and racism?"umm well,nothing of the sort happened to me or any of my Egyptian friends, but the Arabs I met there confirmed that Germans are prejudiced against other races and since it's the same elsewhere,the US, the UK, why do we expect the Germans to be any different!? Anyways,the beauty of Germany lies in 2 main points -that I've only come to appreciate after I crossed the borders to Austria which basically sucked-;

1-Each German city I visited had a different taste to it-from Serious Berlin to Posh Munich to Funky Hamburg.

2-Wherever you are in Germany,you feel secure. You are always in good hands and protected by the system- from purchasing an item to booking a train(Die Bahn-hehehe) ticket to seeing a patient in the hospital.

You might all accuse me of being ignorant for almost every "First World" country has a diversity of city charms and an efficient system, but I tell you in Germany,it's the real deal.I never imagined I'd fall in love with this coutry,but I did :)

That's it for the 'Visit Germany' ad and back to my post.In August '04, I went for an internship in the University of Cologne (a.k.a Koln) Hospital with 4 colleagues (only 2 of which I had known beforehand). Frankly speaking, I was little interested in medicine and much more fond of the idea of spending a whole month in a european country with students my age and all the -e7m e7m- fun that implied. Moreover, I hadn't heard of Koln so figured it was a small unknown city somewhere in Germany that would bore me to tears and I would end up taking weekly trips to Amsterdam or Brussels or any Schengen country. Anna (a friend of mine) had told me that it's a beautiful city but I was still skeptical-you see, she said it was the retirement place for rich Jews, now you know why I was skeptical. But to my amazement, Koln turned out to be a beautiful historical city overlooking the Rhein and home of Kolner Dom -a huge world famous cathedral (seems I did turn out to be ignorant after all!!!) But the better part was the university, because that meant young boys and girls, and all the caterers i.e. night spots and retail stores (what do you think those kids liked?museums!?) So we settled in our hostel and went out to discover the city and we met them...the best part of Koln...


(Details in the next post)



8 Comments:

Blogger Cleopatrina said...

Viva DEUTSCHLAND! das ist mein traum ya deee!waiting for more
p.s. hook up with any deutscher there;)wink.

6/17/2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

But to my amazement, Koln turned out to be a beautiful historical city overlooking the Rhein and home of Kolner Dom.
Who would have thought! :P They should really start putting rivers on the map and writing books about historical cities.

6/18/2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger Tiny said...

>Chris: You should understand,by common sense, that such info WAS available before I stepped foot in Germany...It's the www era,u know!?

6/18/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Finally I'll know about this trip in detail! you'd told me before about that internship and how great it was and how great people were, too ;) so I'll be waiting to know what went on over there. keep the posts coming

6/19/2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Chris: You should understand,by common sense, that such info WAS available before I stepped foot in Germany...It's the www era,u know!?

And that's exactly the reason why you should've just accepted the sarcasm and laughed at the comment instead of retorting :P

6/20/2006 3:59 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

lol! good one Christian.

Tiny I don't envy you, you put yourself in a tough spot there ;)

6/20/2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger Tiny said...

>Christian:Me?!?! Retorting at you, Christo?! Never happened and never will!! You know better :) Dana bass men kotr ma kont bad7ak 3ala ta3leekak tele3 ta3leeky keda

we 3al 3emoom ana asfa *blushing*


>Rain: ya mehaddy elnefoos enta ya gamed!!! Bas mat7'afeesh 3alaya, I know how to get out of sticky situations

6/21/2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

lol, yes, gals are lucky. Blushing never ceases to work.

6/22/2006 12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home